Saturday, November 13, 2010

How to make Tokneneng?

Tokneneng is one of my favorite street food.  You can spot it everywhere here in the Philippines especially on the streets of Manila.  Wherever there are lots of student or lots of people pass by, you will never fail to see a toknene for sale on that street.  I think it became known and popular more than a decade ago and the place of origin is still unknown to me...  I just first spotted this way back in my college years in Quezon City.  My classmate introduced this to me.  Well, i'm glad she had coz' at first of having it, it made me crave for it almost all the time. hahahaha.  As time progresses now, you can find it everywhere inside the malls or even the MRT stations... So, toknene is everywhere in Manila.  Even in the provinces now, Tokneneng is rampant too.  I've seen it sold in a bicycle cart everywhere in  Kalibo, Aklan.  In Ormoc City, Leyte, I've seen some on the streets of their plaza.  

Tokneneng is a baby version of a popular street food, 'kwek-kwek'.  It is a boiled quail egg coated with an orange-tinted batter and then deep fried.  Then it's served with a sauce consisting of vinegar, onions, cucumber and 'siling labuyo' pepper.  


Finished product of my kwek-kwek and tokneneng... 
the sawsawan, mixtures of spiced vinegar, diced pipino and onions...
to make it sweeter, add a bit of sugar... yummy!


How to make it:

You'll need this ingredients:


Ingredients:
20 pieces, boiled quail eggs
3 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1/4 cup annatto seeds (atsuete)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
cooking oil


Step by step on how to make it:


1. Put the cornstarch in a container and dredge the boiled quail eggs. Set aside.
2. Combine all-purpose flour, salt, and pepper then mix thoroughly.
3. Dilute the annatto seeds in water until the reddish color comes out. Combine the liquid with the flour-salt-pepper mixture and mix thoroughly.
4. Put the boiled quail eggs in the mixing bowl and coat with the batter.
5. Heat the pan and pour the cooking oil.
6. When the oil is hot enough, deep-fry the eggs until the coating is crispy. Use a serving spoon to scoop the eggs from the mixing bowl.
7. Remove the fried eggs from the pan and place int first in a serving plate with a table tissue napkin on the bottom ( to absorb the oil).
8.  Serve with your preferred sauce and enjoy eating it.


 I want to share my sauce but i'll just post it later. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Grace,

I was looking for a recipe for Tokneneng sauce and I came across your site.

Do you know of any cheap Tokneneng sauce mixture? I want to sell Tokneneng in our neighborhood, and I'm hoping to learn a good and tasty but affordable sauce mixture.

I stumbled on a few articles on sauce ingredients, but they are not telling the readers the exact proportions. Like, how many tablespoons of vinegar to how many tablespoons of onions and soy sauce, etc.

Hope you could help.

Thank you.

facebook layouts