Saturday, January 29, 2011

My fave Humba




This is one of my favorite dish since I've had tasted it.  Humba is very popular in the Visayas, specifically in Cebu.  But, I've had first seen and tasted it in Ormoc City.  Since, Ormoc City is near Cebu, so I think they've been influenced by them. :)

This is how i do it on my own way and recipe...  I don't have the exact measurements of my ingredients because when I cook, i just pour them all accdg. to my taste without measuring it.  Maybe next time, I can do that for an easier recipe. :)

Ingredients:
pork belly, pork hocks or pork ham (chop in medium size)
garlic/onions minced
soy sauce
vinegar
calamansi juice extract
brown sugar
bay leaves
peppercorns
black beans (tausi)
dried banana blossoms
pineapple tidbits and juice
sili labuyo (optional)


1.  Heat the pan then add water.  Submerge the pork in the water and add a pinch of salt.  When it's out of water and a little bit of oil from the pork's fat is left (if none, add 1tsb. of oil), add the minced garlic and onions.  Sautee it until brown.
2.  Add water, soy sauce, vinegar, calamansi extract and pineapple juice.  You just add more water if you want the pork to be more tender and just add the other mixtures upon your preferred taste.  Let it boil.  When it boils, add peppercorns and bay leaves.  Let it simmer until the pork is tender. 
3.  Add sugar and then the black beans.  Let it simmer for 5minutes.
4.  Add banana blossoms and simmer for 5 minutes.
5.  Add the pineapple tidbits and simmer for 3 minutes.
*** You can simmer it more if you want the pork to be more tender.  Just add more water and the other mixtures upon your preferred taste.

6.  Serve while hot and enjoy!

No comments: